Monday, October 4, 2010

Positive Affirmation/Positive Thinking for the Bar Exam

     I came across this article about using Positive affirmations to pass tests.  I do believe people can get themselves to achieve a higher levels with proper focus. Before knowing what they were, I successfully used positive affirmations in the past. For instance, when I participated in both Mock trial and Moot court drills and competitions in law schoo, I constantly repeated to myself “I am the greatest litigator this school has ever produced.”
    
     I must have repeated this to myself dozens to hundreds of times. I would walk around saying it to myself.  I looked atmyself in the mirror and said it.  I would eat and repeat the phrase to myself.  Sometimes people would look at me like I was a bit nutty.  Duh!  Why do you think I went to lawschool in the first place?

     I knew it wasn’t true. Nonetheless, I kept hearing that phrase in my mind and I carried myself and litigated accordingly (although fictitiously).  The phrase was so embedded in my mind I subconsciously strove to be the best I could be.  In fact, I took an Appellate Advocacy course for which I had to do a graded oral argument.  I had prepared vigorously, but was still uber nervous.  I constantly repeated that phrase, and I performed well.  One judge told me I was the best he had seen that year.  The other judges complimented me on my performance as well.  I did well in that course and almost got an A.

     If one creates enough expectancy, belief will always follow. This works both for good and for bad. That is why you see athletes achieve greatness; while there may be others who are as talented, top athletes possess extreme mental acuity. I once knew an athlete from the Bahamas who competed in one of the Olympic games. He explained how he was able to “visualize” the race from start to finish and that all athletes do the same.

     It is also why some battered spouses and prostitutes never leave the abusers they are with. They have gone their entire lives being told they are “worthless,” thus, they come to believe it and they start acting accordingly. I knew this law student I went to school with. He constantly complained about how his wife was going to leave, how his marriage was in shambles, and that his marriage would end at any time. He spoke of it all the time. So what did he do, he constantly flirted with woman, he hooked up with different girls WHO WERE NOT HIS WIFE, he got caught cheating, and his wife divorced him. He spoke about it so much that he believed it, and he conducted himself accordingly. 

     Don’t get me wrong. Positive thinking, in and of itself, will not get you all the way. But if properly used, it can help anyone achieve thier goals.

     These are some affirmations I am mulling over. These may be a bit unrealistic, but they will still serve the same purpose of helping me to be better.

 
Positive Affirmations for the February Bar Exam:

  • “I will score 400 scaled points on the Bar exam.”
  • “I am a master of MBE Multiple choice questions.”
  • “I am the greatest exam taker to ever live.”
  • “I will record the highest Essay Scores for this Bar Exam.”
  • “I will pass the February Bar exam.”
  • “I am Smart.”
  • “I have so much sex appeal the Florida Board of Bar Examiners will have to let me pass.”
I am laughing inside at the last one. What can I say? I am self amused at times.  Suggestions are welcomed.

No comments:

Post a Comment