Monday, April 18, 2011

Thank you Letter; Taking the Oath of Attorney

     After finally passing this last exam, I had it in my heart to write a thank you letter.  I wrote one letter and sent it to my professors, faculty I knew but had not necessarily taken, administrators, and staff members at my law school to thank them.  The idea is not original.  I got it from a friend of mine who passed before me.  However, I thinks she only wrote to professors and those she liked at that.

     I didn't necessarily like all my professors, but I do appreciate all of their efforts.  My "To" list ended up being about 30-40 names long.  I don't necessarily like putting my business out there, but my desire for privacy was outweighed by my sense of obligation to thank those whom i felt helped me in some way.

    Many people on my list were some with whom I only had brief conversations.  But, many times the fact they let me pick their brains, and sacrificed free time made a strong impression on me.  I take notice of things like that.  Some of you probably assume there is no need to thank professors because if they teach, they are only doing their jobs.  That may be so, but they should still be thanked because: A.) they are not obligated to care, yet most of the time they still do; and B.) they like us are humans, and a little affirmation can go a long way.

    I took the oath of attorney today. 
I didn't feel like waiting until May 2nd to get sworn in with a ton of other faceless bar passers in my county.  I decided to schedule a private ceremony with a local judge.  Your probably thinking "[a]fter waiting 1 1/2 years, you could wait another 3 weeks?" The answer is No. Flip that, and I mean that in the most expletive type way possible.

    Doing private ceremonies for passers with family present was something the judge I clerked for used to do.  What makes this option great is it is more personal while simultaneously maintaining officiousness.  The familes have a chance to come in and feel like a part of the ceremony.  I am certainly not ceremonious, but I knew my family would appreciate this, as this ordeal has been a group effort.  It is all the better if you know the judge.  I didn't know this one, but he was obliging and very amicable.

     This whole thing is surreal.  I am still in a sense of disbelief.  I have become so much more humble then I used to be.  I used to be so proud to be in Law School.  I was so psyched to be taking the bar.  Now, while I appreciate the challenges these endeavors have provided, I just reflect on how these trials have changed me, I think(and pray) for the better. 

     "Nothing is a given."  My failures have cemented this lesson in me.  My failures have made this chance to be a lawyer extremely meaningful.  I will do my best to honor and uphold the profession.  I cannot take it for granted.  How appropriate is it in this lenten season I have figuratively resurrected on the third exam, while dying for the last two?  How is that for symbolism?

No comments:

Post a Comment